Cloud Flying Endorsement
It’s all change now that EASA is coming into force: can glider pilots can no longer simply go off and fly into cloud without any formal training. Thinking about it, it’s a good idea: cloud flying is very dangerous, and without some training, things can easily go wrong.
With our Cloud Flying Endorsement course, we will show you the dos and don’ts of cloud flying.
To complete the Cloud Flying Endorsement course, you’ll need the following:
- Both Bronze and Cross-Country endorsements
- At least 30 hours’ experience as PIC following the grant of the Bronze & Cross-Country endorsements
- Approval from your CFI
The Cloud Flying Endorsement course includes the following:
- Ground School
- Flight using instruments while maintaining visual reference for comparison
- Straight glide, holding headings, straight descent using airbrake
- Turns, exit on headings
- Recovery from unusual attitudes
- Emergency recovery
- Use of GPS
How much will it cost?
- An extensive ground briefing before going flying.
- The flight is a test with the outcome of pass or fail.
- The ground school and flight test will be £260.
We recommend that you do some practice with a suitably qualified person before commencing the Cloud Flying Endorsement. Pre-course practise can be completed at your home club or with MotorGlide just before commencing the test.
Any pre-test flight training will be charged at our non-member flying rate of £120 per hour. Most students will need at least one hour of flight training before starting the test.
The Attitude Indicator Small Print
- All training flights will be under VFR conditions
- Your instructor will simulate IFR conditions using foggles and other training aids
- The Cloud Flying Endorsement is for use in gliders/sailplanes; privileges may not be exercised in a TMG.