NPPL Training (for beginners)

The Private Pilot’s Licence (PPL) allows you to fly a light aircraft either solo or with friends. This license is the equivalent of a driver’s licence, but a bit more rigorous.

At MotorGlide, we recommend that you train for the NPPL (National Private Pilot’s Licence); for the majority of UK pilots, the privileges of this licence suits them perfectly.

[More information on glider pilot conversions to this licence can be found here.]

npplWhat’s the difference between a PPL & NPPL?

  • Hours – for the NPPL, you need to complete minimum of 32 hours of training instead of the 45 you complete for the PPL (saving you at least £1700!).
  • Medical – for the NPPL, you require a driving licence medical (DVLA) or higher (£40). For the PPL you need a Class 2 or higher (£100+).
  • Training – at MotorGlide, we train you in a motorglider (much more affordable), and once you’re at licence level we can then convert you to a larger aircraft. The result is that you gain an NPPL with two ratings: SLMG & SSEA or (TMG & SEP).

What licence do I train for?

95% of UK private pilots only fly in good weather and only in the UK, so there is no need for any license other than an NPPL. If you ever want to upgrade to the PPL, that can easily be done later.

Let’s look at what licences are currently available:

  • NPPL – National Private Pilot’s Licence (we recommend this one).
  • LAPL – The new EASA licence for light aircraft pilots. Europe are still arguing over training standards!
  • SPL – Sailplane pilot’s licence for glider pilots.
  • PPL – Same as NPPL, but allows you to add certain other ratings, such as night, instrument and complex (most pilots don’t need this)
  • CPL – Commercial Pilot’s Licence – only needed if you’re looking to earn money from flying, such as becoming an airline pilot.

Don’t waste your hard-earned money – train for the NPPL!

Keeping my licence

We recommend the NPPL, and with this licence all you need to do to keep your licence valid is 12 hours flying as pilot in command in 2 years, and 1 hour with an instructor.

Easy really! At MotorGlide, we can provide the aircraft for you to hire and take friends flying. When you need the hour with an instructor, we just let you know.

How much will it cost?

Other flying schools – prices vary dramatically from £120 to £180 per hour for a light aircraft, and most training organisations only offer the PPL (it makes them more money!), at 45 hours of training.

  • Taking the average of price £150 per hour:
  • 45 hours x £150/hr = £6,750
  • Extras – books, ground exams, CAA fees = £500
  • Total cost = £7,250+

MotorGlide – we are open with our pricing and we train you for the NPPL, saving you money.

  • Cost per hour = £100
  • 32 hours x £100 = £3,200
  • Extras – books, ground exams, CAA fees = £500
  • Total cost £3,700 (budget for £4,000 and you’ll have no financial surprises)

NB: 32 hours is the minimum required for this licence. The number of hours required in practice depends on the individual student’s ability; therefore, more training hours may be required to achieve your licence.